So you want some help with your Jazz Improvisation?
There are many different approaches to learning how to improvise, I believe the best way is to spend many hours transcribing by ear the music your love. This is how all the great improvisers do it. You can too.
To book a lesson with Casey click here.
Method for learning Jazz Improvising
- Learn by ear then you can play by ear.
- I have not met any accomplished Jazz musician that has not transcribed their favourite music.
- Select a piece of music that you love. Copy it as accurately as you can. Play along with the original track, Then play along with a backing track if you have one. Then play along with just a metronome.
- All your concepts of learning scales, chords, harmony and theory are after this process. Music first then theory.
- Select a phrase or lick and practice this in all keys.
- Insert this lick into your improvisations. (You will need to match the harmonic structure)
- No books. Write your own journal.
- Go to the source – copy the Jazz Greats
- Record yourself and listen back, you will hear how others hear you. You will learn a lot
- Learn and study tunes, build your own repertoire
Need some help? Book an online lesson with me and I will be happy to help.Recommended Tools – Transcribing looper, slow downer –
- For ios – Robick App https://apps.apple.com/us/app/robick-audio-player/id417016186
- For android – Amazing Slow Downer